Backstory: we moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago, and being that we no longer live in Manhattan, we actually have an apartment big enough that my stereo system doesn’t have to sit right next to my TV. What this boils down to is that the wall where our TV/cable/internet hookup lives is on a different side of the room than my stereo/turntable setup.
The Problem: I’m no longer able to use my Airport Express to wirelessly stream music over my stereo (which I previously did with the assistance of AirFoil), and I’m looking for an alternate solution.
In short, I need something that plugs into an
AUX port of my stereo that also hooks up to my home wifi network that will allow me to stream music from sources such as Spotify, iTunes, Youtube, etc. If it has a power jack and can plug into the wall to power itself, that’s great too.
What I’ve Found: There are a variety of offerings that seem to be in this space.
Here’s some of what I’ve found:
- Airport – from $99 for Airport Express, what I currently have, but the router is not near the Airport, so this won’t work
- Sonos Connect – $349 / Connect:Amp – $499 – similar to Airport Express, but ridiculously expensive
- Apple TV – $99 / Google Chromecast – $35 – these are interesting, but are for streaming things to your TV – I want to stream things to my stereo
- gramofon – $49 – seems to only work for Spotify and WahWah(?) :\
- Blueflame Wireless Music Receiver – $29.99 – doesn’t seem to be out yet according to their website, although Target has some pretty shitty reviews
- Beep – $? – seems to be limited to Pandora + local music
- Rocki – $49 – limited to Soundcloud/LastFM
That’s what I can find so far – does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas?
At this point I’m thinking I should just buy a REALLY long ethernet cable and wire it carefully along the doorframes so I can continue to use my Airport Express…